Who can claim VAT refunds?
A VAT refund can be claimed by any non-Thai visitor who…
- has been in Thailand less than 180 days in a calender year;
- is not a crew member of an airline;
- departs Thailand by air carrier from an international airport.
How to claim a VAT refund
- VAT refund only applies to goods taken out of Thailand within 60 days from the date of purchase.
- The goods must be purchased from stores displaying the “VAT REFUND FOR TOURISTS” sign.
- On any day, goods purchased at each participating store shall not be less than 2,000 baht, including VAT. The total amount claiming for refund must not be less than 5,000 baht.
- On the purchasing day, ask the sales assistant at the store to complete VAT refund from (P.P.10) and attach the original tax invoices to the form. Each application form (P.P.10) must show a value of 2,000 baht or more.
- Before departure, present your goods and submit the form and original tax invoices to the Customs officers for inspection before check-in.
- In case of bank draft refund or credit to credit card account, you can either present your claim to Revenue officers or drop it into the box at the Refund Counter or mail from your home back to the Revenue Department of Thailand.
How will the refund be paid?
You can choose to receive your refund by ….
|Refund amount||Refund method|
|not exceeding 10,000 baht||cash in Thai baht, draft, credit to credit card account|
|exceeding 10,000 baht||draft, credit to credit card account|
The following fees apply to refund requests.
- For cash refund, a fee of 100 baht.
- For draft refund, a fee of 100 baht plus draft issuing fee at the rate charged by banks and postage fees.
- For credit to credit card account refund, a fee of 100 baht plus money transfer fee at the rate charged by banks.
IMPORTANT TO NOTE
You cannot claim VAT refund for the following goods
- prohibited items
- firearms, explosives or any similar items
- gem stones
Allow yourself adequate time at the airport for the refund process.
In case your request for refund by draft or credit to credit card account receives no reply within an appropriate period of time, please contact the VAT Refund office at Bangkok International Airport, Tel. 535-6576-79 or the VAT Refund for Tourist Office, Revenue Department, Phaholyothin Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand, Tel. 272-9387-8, 272-8195-8 Fax. 617-3559.
Further information can be obtained from the participating stores or at the Revenue Department.
- You must show your passport when you purchase the goods.
- The purchases for which you are claiming VAT refunds must be inspected by Customs officers before check-in.