The National Science Museum (Technopolis Science Museum) is housed in a world-class building that is an engineering marvel in itself: a pair of giant cubes balanced on their points, made of fiberglass, steel and glass. It was built in commemoration of the 60th anniversary of HM Queen Sirikit. The museum is a great place to learn about science in Thailand while having fun! Its six floors provide hours of endless wonders and amusement for visitors of all ages.
The exhibitions are centered around six topics:
1. Pioneering Scientists details the work and major contributions of famous scientists in the past two centuries.
2. History of Science and Technology traces the origin of Homo sapiens and the progress of science. It also illustrates the technological impacts on Earth.
3. Basic Technology and Energy is an exhibition aimed helping to understand basic scientific principles and theories. It also details the theory and application of energy-related technology. Covered topics include sound, mathematics, light, electricity, magnetism, force and movement, resistance, heat, substance and chemical energy, among other things.
4. Science and Technology in Thailand consists of basic facts about Thailand: its climate, ecology, agricultural and industrial products, geological structures and geography.
5. Science and Technology in Everyday Life covers a wide range of topics such as body and health, communication and transportation, quality of life, and the speculation about a possible future.
6. Finally, Technology of the Thai Wisdom deals with raising awareness of Thai cultural heritage, It is also a tribute to the royal contributions of H.M. the Queen. The rest of the exhibit shows traditional Thai arts and crafts.
THINGS TO KNOW:
Address: Soi Khlong 5 Rangsit, Nakon Nayok Road
Tel: (02) 577-9999
Fax: (02) 577-9990
To get there : Take the Norhern Expressway to Rangsit , or the Outer Eastern Ring Road. The Museum is on a converted industrial estate.
Open: 09.30-17.00 Tuesday-Sunday
Admission: Children/students: 20฿; Adults: 50฿
Misc.: Bilingual-labelled exhibits, helpful staff.