Category: Shrines

Erawan Shrine

In 1953 the Thai Hotel and Tourism Co. started the construction of Erawan Hotel. When it was near completion in 1956, the management consulted an astrologer for an auspicious date for its grand opening. As it turned out, the astrologer pointed out that the date when the foundation stone was laid was not suitable, and advised that a Brahman shrine and a guardian spirit shrine should be built to correct the error.

The management brought in the Dept. of Fine Arts to design and build the statue of Brahma according to the traditions of the department. The gilded plaster statue was enshrined at the Erawan Hotel on November 9, 1956.

Both Thais and foreign visitors come to pay their respects at the Shrine, which is widely known as the Erawan shrine. The number of worshippers is increasing every year. They come to pray to Brahma to grant their wishes, or simply to enjoy the exotic sights, sounds and atmosphere.

Things to Know

Address: Address: 494 Ratchawithi Road Lumphini Sub-District Pathumwan District Bangkok 10330
Telephone: (02) 252-8754
To get there Bus: 2 13 14 15 17 25 48 54 73 74 76 77 204 Air-con Bus: 38 505 511 513
Pier: Passenger Boat: Patunam Pier (Sansap Canal)
Opening Hours: Daily 8 am-7 pm
Admission Fee: Free
Nearby Attractions : Gaysorn Plaza, Grand Hyatt Erawan HotelĀ  Le Royal Meridian Hotel, Central World

The City Pillar Shrine

the city pillar bangkok

According to an old Thai tradition, a city pillar had to be built upon the establishment of a new city. King Rama I had the Bangkok city pillar erected near the Temple of the Emerald Buddha on Sunday, 21 April, 1782, with the citys horoscope inside. The original pillar was made of cassia wood known as Chaiyaphruek, measuring 75 cm. in diameter and 27 cm. high. In the reign of King Rama IV, the old dilapidated pillar was replaced by a new one made of the same kind of wood, measuring 270 cm. high and standing on a base of 175 cm. wide, sheltered by a Prang-shaped shrine as it appears today. The shrine also houses images of protective deities including Thepharak, Chaopho Ho Klong, Phra Suea Mueang, Phra Song Mueang, Chaopho Chetakhup and Phra Kan Chai Si.

Open: Daily 07.00-18.00 hrs.
Admission: Free

Nearby Attractions: Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Museum Siam, National Museum, Wat Suthat

Bonus: This is a great place to see some free Thai dancing as you can see from the pictures below.