Category: Museums

Royal Thai Air Force Museum

Royal Thai Air Force Museum

The Type 10 (Hawk 3), a fighter aircraft, played a significant role during the Indochina War. This is only one of its kind remaining in the world today.

The Royal Thai Air Force museum was set up in 1952 with the purpose of collecting and restoring defense articles of different periods including equipments and aircraft in use during the early period of Thai aviation history up to the present. The RTAF museum was first located at a hangar west of Don Muang airfield and was not opened to public until 27 March 1959. The present musem was constructed in 1968 at a total cost of 6,635,000 Bahts. The museum was officially opened to the public on 24 January 1969.

Royal Thai Air Force Museum

The exhibits at the Royal Thai Air Force museum feature many types of aircraft rarely found anywhere else in the world. Many of the were in the service during the war and  played a vital role in the safeguarding of our nation’s independence. The numerous victory Medals awarded to the RTAF pilots attest to the bravery and valour of our heroes. The Royal Thai Air Force has tried to develop its museum to ensure that it has complete historical records of the Royal Thai Air Force.

THINGS TO KNOW:

Address: Phahon Yothin Road, behind Don Muang Airport

Tel: 0 2534 1853, 0 2534 2113
Fax: 0 2534 1936

To get there:

Buses no. 34, 39, 114, 356
Air Conditioned Buses no. 3, 21, 22, 25, 34, 39, 114, 356

Open: 09.0-16.00 daily

Admission: Free, but must be in groups; guide can be hired in advance.

Misc.: Closed on Arms Forces Day (Jan 25) and on public holidays.

Website: www.rtaf.mi.th/museum

NEARBY ATTRACTIONS:

RTAF Headquarters, Royal Thai Air Force Academy, Army Air Defense Command Museum.

Bangkok Dolls Museum

A favorite of children and Thai culture enthusiasts alike, the Bangkok Doll Factory and Museum houses an interesting exhibition of hand-made dolls dressed in traditional hilltribe costumes. The ornate dresses and traditional scenes (Ramakien, monks, Thai-style houses etc) offer a unique view into Thai art and living.

Witness an ancient craft in practice as the dolls are being made in front of your eyes, and then take a memento of the experience home after visiting the doll store. At the time of writing, dolls cost 300-5000 Baht.

THINGS TO KNOW:

Address: 85 Soi Rajatapan, Ratchapraprop Rd. (Soi Mo Leng)

Tel: (02) 245-3008

To get there: Bus 14, 38, 62, 77, 513 to Thanon Makkasan, then songtaew.

Open: 08.00-17.00 Monday-Saturday

Admission: free

Misc.: AmEx, MC and Visa credit cards are accepted in the store.

 

Bank of Thailand Museum

The main objective of the Museum is to preserve Thai currency, one of our important cultural heritages, as well as to stimulate the research and study on the history and evolution of Thai currency.  The exhibitions started from the prehistoric medium of exchange the ancient currency, used in different eras up until the present day.  In addition, it also highlights the roles and responsibilities of the Bank of Thailand, the governors, as well as the history of Bang Khun Phrom Palace and H.R.H. Prince Baripatra Sukhumbhands life. The exhibitions compose of 14 rooms such as:

Ancient Coins Room: The exhibition in this room dated  back to the  prehistoric era when medium of exchange such as shells or beads were used as money  until the introduction of coins, including Funan coins,  Dvaravati coins, Sri Vijaya coins, as well as Lanna and Lanchang money, which had been used before the Kingdom of Thailand was found.

Pot Duang Room displays Pot Duang coins, circulated from Sukhothai period up to the reign of King Rama V of Rattanakosin period, as well as their methods of productions.
Thai Coins Room displays Thai flat coins which were initiated by King Rama III up to the present day.

Thai Banknotes  Room displays the evolution of the Thai paper  money from the first issuance of paper money called Mai in King Rama IV reign through the issuance of banknotes series circulated in the present day, including the commemorative banknotes issued on special  occasions.

Gold and Commemorative Coins Room displays commemorative gold coins, silver coins, nickel coins, gold bond, as well as gold bullions which are used as currency reserves.

Bank of Thailand 60th Anniversary Room displays the history, the roles and responsibilities of the Bank of Thailand as well as the important events of the Bank, in chronology. Baripatra Memorial Room displays the life, works, activities, and the talents of H.R.H. Prince Baripatra Sukhumbhand.

THINGS TO KNOW:

Address: 273 Samsen Road, Bang Khun Phrom, Bangkok, 10200

Tel. 0 2283 5286, 0 2283 6723, 0 2283 5265
Fax. 0 2283 5283

Open: 09.30-16.00 Monday-Friday

Admission: free for groups

Misc.: Group tours require a minimum of 10 people. Must be booked 4-5 days in advance.

Website: http://www.bot.or.th/English/BOTMuseum/Pages/BOTMuseum1.aspx

Admission requirements:
1. Free admission.
2. Please dress respectfully and take off shoes before entering the Bang Khun Phrom Palace Building.
3. Visitors should not touch exhibited items and display cases.
4. Photography is not permitted inside the Museum.
5. Smoking is strictly prohibited.
6. Food and beverages are not allowed in the Museum.
7. Avoid making excessive noise during the visit.

NEARBY ATTRACTIONS:

Bank of Thailand

Children’s Discovery Museum

children museum

The museum is located inside Queen Sirikit Park and was established under the royal initiative of Her Majesty the Queen, in her realizing the significance of creating a pleasurable learning process for Thai children. Based on the Bangkok Metropolitan Administrations children and family activities, the Childrens Discovery Museum took shape in the form of 3 exhibition buildings and an open-air activity ground covering a total area of 5 rai. The construction was completed in 2001 and undertaken under the project to celebrate the 60th birthday anniversary of Her Majesty the Queen.

The museum offers exhibitions as well as funny activities for children to enjoy and learn about human life, sciences, culture and society, nature and the environment, including an exhibition in honour of Her Majesty the Queen.

THINGS TO KNOW: 

Address: Kamphaeng Phet 4 Rd

Tel : 0 2615 7333 ext. 102, 134, 148
Fax: 0 2615 7847

To get there: Take the Skytrain to Mo Chit, then walk to the building opposite the Chatuchak Weekend Market.
By car: Expressway Khampaeng 1 Road, then Khampaeng 2 Road. Beware of one-way traffic and crowds around the Weekend Market.

Open: Weekdays 09.00-17.00, Weekends 10.00-18.00

Admission: Children: 50฿, Adults: 70฿; discount with annual membership.

Misc.: Best times to visit are early mornings and afternoons on weekdays, to avoid school groups.

Website : www.bkkchildrenmuseum.com

NEARBY ATTRACTIONS:

Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden, Chatuchak Weekend Market, Railway Museum.

Hall of Railway Heritage

Bangkok Guidebook
Bangkok Guidebook
A broad green area with an old train shed in the center – that’s what the Railway Museum looks like from the outside. Inside, a superb collection of old locomotives and other historic objects are on display. The exhibition is a living testament to the past of the Thai railway enterprise.Besides old steam locomotives, there are other vehicles such as London taxis and World War II Japanese patrol cars, as well as the first tram from 1892, with long passenger benches that run along the entire length of the tram. Rail carriages and various railway tools like the old fuel siphon and an early telegraph machine are also shown.
THINGS TO KNOW:Address: Chatuchak Park, Kamphaeng Petch 3 RoadTel: (02) 373-9976To get there : Skytrain to Mo Chit, then walk or a short taxi ride to Chatuchak Park. The museum is inside.Open: Saturday-Sunday 07.00-14.00Admission: freeMisc.: The “We Love Trains” Club occasionally hosts activities such as a train trip along the historic railroad to Kanchanaburi (Death Railway).

House of Museums

img_0781
img_0742
The House of Museums is located at 170/17 Mu 17, Khlong Pho Land, Soi Khlong Pho 2, Sala Thammasop Road, Thawi Watthana, Bangkok 10170. It is accessible by driving along Phutthamonthon Sai 2 Road toward the railway track or Khlong Maha Sawat.Read more about this museum in Bangkok Blogs.

Jim Thompson’s House

Bangkok Guidebook
Bangkok Guidebook

This exquisite collection of traditional Thai house stands as a museum to the man who revived the Thai silk industry after the Second World War. The story of James H.W. Thompson is one upon legends are made. After serving in the U.S.A. armed forces, Jim Thompson settled in Thailand and found the tremendous opportunity to re-establish the Thai silk industry. In recognition of his services to the country, he was bestowed the royal award of The Order of the White Elephant.The company he founded, Jim Thompson Thai Silk, is recognized worldwide for its brilliant creations.

He was an avid collector of Asian artifacts and antiques and The Jim Thompson’s House is possibly the epitome of his collection.

Before his mysterious disappearance in the Cameron Highland in Malaysia in 1967, his house was the talk of the town where he entertained his friends and visitors including the like of Somerset Maugham.

The house sits on approximately a half acre of land on Mahanak Canal. Ban Khrua village where his silk weavers lived and worked. Is just on the other side of the canal. To build the house he gathered 6 original traditional teak structure from different parts of the country and brought carpenter from Ayutthaya who completed the house in 1959.

The gardens are equally impressive with a lush tropical jungle imitating nature’s haphazard beauty right in the center of the city.

Jim Thompsons connoisseur collection of antiques and artifacts is on permanent exhibition, making this a magnificent museum of the lifestyle of the legend.

History:

Jim Thompson was born in Greenville, Delaware, in 1906. He was an architect prior to the Second World War. During the war he came to Asia. He arrived to Bangkok as an intelligence officer a short time after the war ended. After leaving the service, he decided to settle in Thailand permanently.

His most valuable contribution was the revival of the Thai silk industry. He implemented the use of wider, more efficient looms, and color-fast chemical dyes instead of the traditional plant-derived dyes that faded quickly unless carefully protected. He also designed new patterns and sent his ware to European fashion centers, gradually building international fame for Thai silk. A breakthrough came in 1950, when an international costume designer chose his silk to be featured in a Broadway show called “Blue Night” (the music of which was composed by King Rama IX himself!). A year later, it got even more exposure when featured in the costumes for the controversial “King and I”. As a result, Thai silk became famous, fashionable and profitable, a trend that continues today.

He gained further renown due to his efforts to preserve ancient Thai architecture. He collected derelict teak houses from various places in Central Thailand (Ayutthaya province and Baan Khrua), brought them to their present site and assembled them in 1959 in the most authentic way possible.

He mysteriously disappeared during a visit to the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia in 1967, leaving behind an impressive legacy of art and architecture, and this house as his memorial.

THINGS TO KNOW:

Address: Soi Kasemsan 2 ,  Rama 1 road, opposite National Stadium, Pathum Wan

Tel: (02) 216-7368
Fax: (02)225-9779

To get there :

Taking Skytrain to National Stadium BTS Station or taking bus routes 15, 47, 73, 204

Open: 09:00 am – 05:00 pm every day

Admission: 100 baht for adults and 50 baht for under 25.

Website : www.jimthompsonhouse.com

English, French and Japanese guided tours available.

Misc .:

Scam alert! Beware of nearby touts telling that the house is closed.

No shoes are allowed to be worn inside

No photography is allowed inside the buildings.

NEARBY ATTRACTIONS:

Siam Square
Siam Discovery
MBK
Wat Boromniwat
Chulalongkorn University

Kamthieng House

The Kamthieng House is of great interest to all who have an interest in Thai society. It is the center-piece at the Siam Society, which promotes the preservation of heritage, culture, arts and the environment.

This superb example of Northern Thai architecture is more than 160 years old and has been preserved in excellent condition. It has been handed down through generations of the Nimmanahaeminda family before being generously donated to the Siam Society by Nang Kinhaw Nimmanahaeminda. With the financial support of the Asia Foundation, the house was relocated from Chiang Mai to Bangkok in 1964.

The house is built on wooden stilts with the underneath area used to display a rich
assortment of agricultural implements such as plough and harvesting equipment made of wood, reeds and bamboo.

The Kamthieng House is stocked with artifacts that represent the traditional rural way of life. There are beautiful hand-woven fabrics, ornate wood carvings, traditional musical instruments and religious items. This outstanding collection serves as an ethnological museum. This has fulfilled on of the goals of the Siam Society which had it written into the rules when it was formed in 1904.

The Siam Society occasionally grants permission for small receptions for 25 to 30 people to be held in the gardens with the house as a backdrop.

How to get there: BTS Skytrain to Asoke Station. Subway to Sukhumvit Station
Opening time : Tuesday to Saturday (except public holidays) 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.Admission fee : Adult 100 baht, Child 50 baht.
Tel : 0 2661 6470-7
Website : www.siam-society.org

King Prajadhipok Museum

It was during the reign of King Prajadipok as King Rama VII that Thailand changed from an absolute monarchy to a constitutional monarchy. This museum presents the life and tumultuous times of The Kings reign.

The building, constructed in 1906, was initially an imported clothing store called John Simpson Store designed in the Neo-classical style by Charles Beguelin, a French-Swiss architect. It later became a hardware store and then headquarters of the Public Works Department.

The museum has nine permanent exhibition halls covering various subjects in a sequence.The first hall introduces you to the line of succession under the Chakri Dynasty from King Rama I up to H.M. King Rama IX, the current King.

King Prajadipoks life before his accession to the throne in the second hall, informs about his youth, education, ordination, marriage and government service.
His coronation is shown in photographs and royal activities in areas of national development and foreign relations are shown in the next exhibits.

The preparations for and the celebrations marking the 1932 150th anniversary of the founding of the Chakri Dynasty are next. 1932 was the year of the turning point in Thailands political history when under pressure from a political party,the King consented to the change from an absolute monarchy to a democratic constitutional monarchy.

The Conferment of The Constitution exhibit hall informs you about the Kings prior intent to bestow upon the nation a constitution. King Prajadipoks personal effects are displayed including items on films, music, sports and writings, revealing his personal tastes. The final exhibition shows his life after abdication and his final years in England. The King Prajadipok Museum is a very informative source of information on Thailand during this significant period.

THINGS TO KNOW:

Address: Registered Heritage Building, Phanfalilat Bridge 2 Lanluang Road, Sommanat Pom Prap Sattru Phai, Bangkok 10100

Tel: 0 2280 3413-14, 0 2280 3445-6
Website: www.kpi.ac.th/museum/
Email: kpm@kpi.ac.th

How to get there:

Bus routes 2, 15, 39, 44, 47, 60, 79, 511, 512.
Saensaep Canal Express Boat service to Phanfa pier.

Open: Tuesday to Sunday and public Holidays from 9.00 am. to 4.00 pm.

Admission fee : 40 baht

Minerals and Rocks Museum

Located on the first floor of the Emerald Building next to the Department of Mineral Resources on Rama VI Road, the museum is attached to the Bureau of Geological Survey, Department of Mineral Resources, and was established in 1948. It exhibits minerals, rocks, fossils as well as ancient tools made from minerals and rocks in 3 sections: 1. Geology, featuring the Earth, plate movements, earthquakes, minerals and rocks, geological surveys, ground water and fossils; 2. Mineral Resources, displaying specimens of gemstones and precious stones, uses of minerals, mineral fuels, petroleum and minerals from abroad; 3. Special Exhibition, currently showcasing dinosaur fossils in Thailand. The museum is open on weekdays during 9 a.m.-4.30 p.m. Admission is free but advance contact in writing addressed to the Director-General of the Department of Mineral Resources is required.

Open: Mon to Fri from 8.30 a.m. – 4.30 p.m.
Admission: Free
Tel: 0 2202 3669, 0 2202 3670
Fax:  0 2202 3754
Website: www.dmr.go.th